Sheltering in place can be particularly challenging for Miami locals, who are used to being active and outside, year round. Exercise is a vital part of building a strong immune system, and keeping a healthy body and sound mind, especially in times of stress. Here are some tips from Tracy Belcher for a home exercise routine to stay healthy and active while in quarantine.
- Keep the routine you had before. Trainers and fitness studios are keeping their schedules, they’re just moving class to an online platform like Zoom or Skype. It is a great way to stay connected and get some needed social interaction.
- Schedule online sessions with a personal trainer. Nothing is more effective than working one-on-one under the watchful eye of a trainer. It also keeps you accountable and on track to emerge from quarantine stronger than you went in!
- Schedule your workouts. When your routine changes and you are faced with the distractions of working from home, it can really throw you off. (Hello, unintentional Netflix marathon.) Schedule yourself first, and keep your schedule consistent.
- Find a workout buddy. Although you might not be able to workout together physically, you can encourage and hold each other accountable by setting goals, sending photos and updates, and even working out together via FaceTime or Zoom. You can also sign up for an online class or “duet” remote session together, with a trainer.
- Change up the scenery. If you’re used to working out in a particular room, try moving to another room, or even taking it outside to combat your cabin fever. As long as outdoor exercise is still allowed/recommended by your local government, you can go for a socially-distanced walk, jog or bike ride.
Tracy Belcher is a Pilates teacher in Miami, FL (my teacher, by the way). For more on Tracy, click here.
To schedule an online session, call/text 786.548.9993 or email email@example.com