Restaurants and food and wine purveyors are pulling out all the stops to encourage residents to go out and drink and dine with nifty promotions this month, ranging from a “Wine Bar War” and Barcelona beer and Pulpo Pairing to Coral Gables Restaurant Month. News about new bakeries, too, to put on your list.
- On Thursday, June 18, at The Moore Building in the Design District the top Miami sommeliers are battling it out in the second annual “Wine Bar War”, a competition that challenges the top sommeliers to create pop-up wine bars in one day exclusively showcasing Chilean wines.The one-of-a-kind competition will challenge 16 top sommeliers to showcase 32 unique Chilean wines through the creation of four exceptional pop-up wine bars. The Guild of Sommeliers handpicked four of Miami’s most distinguished sommeliers to lead their teams into victory. Captains include: Brian Gandison of Hakassan, Heath Porter of Uvaggio, Amandra Fraga of Michaels Genuine and Greg Rivera of The Breakers Palm Beach. Guests will have the chance to experience each bar and help judge which team will be crowned victorious and win an all-expense paid trip to Chile courtesy of LAN Airlines. For tickets, click here:
- Move over Zak and True Loaf, there’s new competition for the best bread in Miami. Buon Pane Italiano, 729 Fifth Avenue, in South Beach is drawing the crowds and selling out before the end of the day. Its Pugliese breads come in every flour, shape and filling such as ricotta, ham, olives, tomatoes and others though I’m partial to the five grain with rye, barley, spelt, wheat and durum. Homemade pastas, pizzas and cannolis too. Soon to come –.Jim Lahey, a 2015 James Beard nominee for best baker, is planning a commercial and retail bakery in Little Haiti near Soyka. Lahey opened the first Sullivan St. Bakery in New York City’s SoHo neighborhood in 1994 after spending time in Italy studying sculpture and bread making. Miami New Times reports that his bread recipe is one of the most popular the New York Times has ever published, according to the paper’s food editor, Sam Sifton. The recipe calls for a combination of flour, water, yeast, and salt to be allowed to rise for nearly 24 hours before baking.
- Barcelona Beer Estrella Damm is having a novel promotion called Chef’s Choice featuring original 3 course meals prepared by 25 Miami restaurants inspired by flavors of the Mediterranean. Running from June 20 to July 5, the promotion features menus unique to each venue but all including pulpo (octopus) as the main dish paired with the beer which dates from 1876.
Participating venues include: Barceloneta (Miami Beach and South Miami), Bin18 Bistro & Beer Loft, Bulla Gastrobar, Cena by Michy, Dolores But You Can Call Me Lolita, Fooq’s, Jimmy’z Kitchen Wynwood, Joey’s Italian Cafe, Klima Restaurant and Bar, La Mar by Gaston Acurio, Morgans Restaurant, Novecento (Aventura, Brickell, Key Biscayne and Midtown locations), Ortanique on the Mile, Perfecto, Segafredo Brickell, Sugarcane Raw Bar Grill, Tapas y Tintos, The Embassy, Tongue & Cheek, Wynwood Kitchen and Bar and Xixón.
Sample menus include:
Cena by Michy:
- Appetizer: Stracciatella salad with stracciatella custard, heirloom tomatoes, basil and fried
- Entrée: Fettuccini braised beef cheeks with red wine stewed octopus.
- Dessert: Crispy apple pie with stewed apples, cider caramel sauce and vanilla.
- Appetizer: Crisp vegetable salad with shaved carrot, cucumber, summer squash, fennel,
basil, mint, lemon and Zoe olive oil.
- Entrée: Grilled Spanish pulpo with olive oil poached potatoes, roasted eggplant, Little Haiti
arugula, grilled lemon and zataar.
- Dessert:Pistachio tiramisu with ladyfingers, espresso, spiced mascarpone, and toasted
Visit ChefsChoiceMiami.com for more information and participating restaurants.
- Downtown Coral Gables is celebrating the 8th Annual Coral Gables Restaurant Week from now to June 28. Over 40 restaurants from Bulla Gastrobar and Caffe Abbracci to Sushisamba and Ruth Chris Steakhouse are offering special three-course lunch and dinner menus at 20% savings or more. Click here for participating restaurants and more information.